Saturday, January 10, 2009

I'm a REAL runner now!

It wasn't the marathon I ran three years ago.
It isn't the half marathon I'm going to run next month.
It's not even the months of training I've been doing in preparation.
It was today. Today is the day that I can officially call myself a real runner.
Why? Because this morning at 6:45 in the FRIGID 30 degree weather, I ran 5 1/2 miles. The bitter wind was blowing against us almost the entire time. My face and ears were frozen by the end of it. My legs were beaten from pounding the pavement through the cruel wind. My lungs hurt. Still, I ran and I did not stop to walk once. I am a RUNNER now!
Fortunately, I happened upon a running group that started at our YMCA. Three of us are training for the Cowtown Half next month so we ran together the entire time. My partners have been real runners for a while now so they were definitely stronger than me, but I kept up with them the entire time and I proved to myself that I could do it. The weather was definitely less than ideal for my first time out with them, but at least I know I can do it in poor circumstances, which means that I know I can do it in good circumstances. Let's just hope that I get nothing but good circumstances from now on!
And now, I'm going to go take a long, hot shower!

6 comments:

Mrs. Olsen said...

Girl, you are TOUGH! :)

brittany said...

You are crazy but more propts to you---my butt will stay inside when it is that cold. I take it as a sign if my lungs hurt that my body is telling me that it is too darn cold!!!

Heather said...

I'm with Brittany! But holy cow you are awesome! I am still so impressed and motivated by your continued success. Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Ummm, dont they make treadmills for days like that?? I obviously lack the drive that you do on this matter, but one thing I hate is my lungs hurting from it being too cold!! Sure hope it doesnt make you sick or something!! Again, you for sure win the award, and maybe someday...hahaha..maybe not! Lets just be real, I am not gonna run..lose weight, sure, walk alot, quite possibly, but run...NOPE!!

Lindsey said...

Don't worry kids-- my lungs didn't hurt that bad. I probably wouldn't have kept going if they were really hurting... just a little sore from sucking wind. But thanks for the encouragement. It was a bit grueling this morning but I'm so glad I proved something to myself. Hopefully, next week's run will see better weather and will thus be far more enjoyable.

Kayla said...

I think you're crazy. Actually, I pretty much think that anyone who likes running is crazy! But that's AWESOME that you're willing to keep at it!

By the way, 30 degrees is practically balmy. Most days we walk Genna to the bus stop in the 8-19 degree range!