Friday, January 2, 2009

A New Year...

Happy 2009! I must first apologize for my lack of pictures. During Christmas, I used the video camera while I let other family members take pictures on their cameras, and thus I don't have any of my own to show you. If I get them soon, I will post them. For now, I'm simply updating given that I haven't in a while.

The holidays have been one giant whirlwind! We've been busy, but it's all been quite wonderful. We enjoyed sharing Christmas with both of our families, including my two out-of-town brothers and their families who joined us for the fun. With a big family like mine, it would seem that having a few missing would barely be noticed. Quite the contrary, however. Having Michael and Jon here, along with their adorable kids and lovely wives, made me realize how much I miss them when they're gone and it made me wish all the more that Brittany could have been here. (Maybe next year?!?!) And in spite of the fact that Mike and I spent so much time driving over the last couple of weeks, I was actually a little sad that I didn't get to spend more time with everyone. Still, with all of that said, I don't want to see you people for a month! :)

Lacey has done amazingly well with all of the chaos. Her nap schedule has been almost completely neglected and she has just gone back and forth and all over the place with us, stealing sleep along the way. She's seen a lot of family, going from Nanny and Papa Hughlett's straight to the Whelan madness in the same day. She seems to have enjoyed every bit of it! She's danced to all of the holiday sing-a-long toys, she's chased kids around the houses, and she's thoroughly enjoyed all of the attention. My baby is getting to be such a big girl! She's eating lots of table foods and she'll be walking any time now. It pains me to see her growing up so fast, though I just adore the phase that she's in. In just about a month, she'll be one year old! I'm not ready!!!

And now, it's a new year. I am more excited for the beginning of 2009 than I have been in any previous year, I believe. It seems that past years have seen resolutions that have faded away without being achieved. Some years, I refused to make resolutions so that I wouldn't have to face the inevitable disappointment of failed attempts. For the first time in my life, though, I know that I can and will achieve my goals. Everyone who knows me knows that I've lost nearly 40 pounds since Lacey was born. Those of you who haven't known me for long don't quite realize what a struggle that has been for me. I battled with my weight for 14 years. I was an overweight and often sad teenager and I still cringe when I see pictures of me back then. In college, I held myself back from doing many of the things that I wanted to do because I was not comfortable with the way that I looked. When it came to dating, I felt like guys wouldn't find me attractive until I was thin. (Fortunately, I married a man who fell in love with me long before I accomplished my goal. Now he gets to see me at my best and I will always know that he will love me no matter what. Good guy, that husband of mine!) Now, with only a little weight left to lose, I feel that I have conquered that battle. You have no idea how good that feels! My success has left me all the more empowered and with the feeling that I really can accomplish all of my goals, big or small. Of course, I do have to credit much of this empowerment to Mike's support. He's a big goal-setter and is very motivated to accomplish his own goals and to help me accomplish mine. He's great at overcoming obstacles and he's a no excuse kind of guy (generally speaking. :). He's had his own big successes this year as he's worked extremely hard to more than double the practice in the midst of major changes and complications at the office. He is such a great partner and he makes me feel like I really can do anything.
So, bring on 2009! We are excited to write down all of our goals, realizing of course that it won't all be accomplished at once. We try to pace ourselves and keep things in perspective while we enjoy this journey together. And for all of you who are making resolutions, just know that if I can do it, so can you, whatever "it" may be for you!

*And for an update on a previous post, I am thrilled to say that we are beginning the year on a good note at the office-- the computers are WORKING!!! The billing software is running properly, the internet is doing its job, the new computer is set up and functioning as it should. What a relief! Seriously Jason, you are our hero!!! And thanks to the help of Mike's mom, the office is nice and clean and organized. Kelli and Michelle, you are going to be shocked on Monday morning! :)

No comments: