Saturday, February 14, 2009

Down, but NOT out!

Today was another disappointing day on the running trail. After days of doing everything we could think of to help my leg, I was very optimistic that I would be able to finish the 10 miles today. I woke up early and stretched and iced it, took some ibuprofen just in case, and headed out the door. We started the run and I felt pretty good. I was very excited to run my first 10-mile run. That excitement quickly turned into concern when I felt my knees hurting and pretty quickly, my calf was spasming again. I tried to run through it, but I soon realized that I just couldn't. A mile and a half. A frustrating, maddening, measly little mile and a half. I said goodbye to the group and turned back, trying not to cry as I walked that same mile and a half back to my car. Walking. Crying. By myself. The entire time, I kept thinking of the vision I had almost a year ago when I started this journey. I decided after Lacey was born that I was going to make this race my motivation. That finish line at the end of the half marathon was to be the finish line at the end of this weight-loss, get-in-shape journey that I've been on for entirely too long. The first time I stepped on the treadmill after Lacey was born, I struggled to run two miles. The entire time though, I envisioned running across the finish line where Mike and Lacey would be waiting to celebrate with me. Today, as I walked, I saw that vision begin to blur a little.

Silver lining: I have the most amazing husband in the world. I try not to brag too much, but let's face it... he's just fantastic. He is so determined to help me accomplish this goal, and all of my goals. He has worn out his hands this week massaging my calves. We went to the office last night where he used various therapies to see if they would help. He gave me a blessing before we went to bed. Last night as we discussed the Salt Lake marathon that I originally aimed to complete, he swore to make it happen for me if it is still my dream. My concern with going, of course, is the expense. Generally, he's not eager to spend large amounts of money. To help me achieve my goal though, he really would do anything. I don't know if Salt Lake is the answer, but I love knowing that he would support and encourage me to do it. It's amazing to have a husband who really does make me a better person. He always says that we're better together than we ever were apart, and it's so true. I love that about him!
When I came home from my run, we determined that it's not over yet. I still have one more run next week to figure out what I'll do. I'm going to be very careful and continue my therapies and if I can get the 10 miles next week, then it's on to the Cowtown Half Marathon on February 28. If not... well... I don't want to think about that. Positive thoughts everyone!
Now, we move on from a bummer of a morning to a wonderful Valentine's Day! Hope you all have a great one! Lots of love from us to you!!

7 comments:

Mrs. Olsen said...

Something like this happened to me with my first marathon, although I ended up healing in time. I hope it works out for you too! Have you tried getting new shoes? Whenever a body part (for me usually my knees) starts hurting I know it's time for new shoes. You may know this, but you should get fitted for shoes at a running specialty store where they check your gait to match you with a good shoe. Good luck!!! Oh, and I'm thinking of doing the SLC 1/2 b/c I'll be out there for my sister's graduation! :)

Harris Family said...

Your first paragraph made me tear. You have worked so hard all year long for your fitness goals! I am super proud of you! Your lifestyle habits will not only benefit you but your growing family. I am happy you still have a positive outlook, I mean hey, if not Cowtown how about Mormon town...with me!! I love ya!

Anonymous said...

Ahh, hang in there girl! I am sure the frustration level is high, and I truly hope you can complete your run, but you still look and feel fantastic..and lets just face it, there is a great deal of glory in a smaller size jeans too:) I hope you guys had a super fun v-day/anniversary celebration anyway! You have had a super fun week..I am sure there will be many more great times ahead, with or without the cow town!

Lindsey said...

I wondered about the shoes too, Rach. I did just buy these from a specialty running store so they should be fine, but maybe not?? I was running on a minor foot injury for a few weeks so I could have injured myself by over compensating. Or I don't stretch enough. Or I was running in poor conditions (freezing cold, really early, not warmed up)... could be a myriad of possibilities. I'm just hoping it heals in time. Otherwise, we may all be running Salt Lake!

tlwhelan8 said...

A little voice of reason here...you used the goal of the marathon after Miss Lacey was born to get in shape..for the first time in your life, you are in the kind of shape that makes all those around you envious...you are too gracious to realize what you have accomplished and that you should take great pride in what you have done...go take you clothes off, look in the mirror and consider that new ,healthy bod your finish line...

Lindsey said...

Well thanks Mom, and everyone else for words of encouragement. I do realize that I have worked very hard and come a long way and I do not take that lightly at all. I don't know... the 1/2 marathon was just a goal that I set that I don't want to give up on... and I certainly don't intend to. Whether it's in two weeks, a couple of months, or later, I'll accomplish this goal. I just hope it's in two weeks that I can do it...

tlwhelan8 said...

Alright..if you need me to come run with you so you can get through it I will....