Well, we did it. For the first time since Lacey was born, Mike and I left town... just the two of us. Lacey stayed with Nanny and Papa Hughlett while we ventured to the exciting land of Atlanta, Georgia for a chiropractic seminar. (Ok, Kristen and Jason may be the only people in our family who consider Atlanta to be exciting... me, not so much.) I will say that I was so anxiety-ridden over leaving her. I slept in half hour increments the night before leaving, gathering no more than four hours of sleep total. All night, I thought of everything I needed to do, going over and over the mental checklist, and I worried over how Lacey would be while we were away. Would she be sick? Would she be sad and wonder where we were? How would she sleep away from home? Would she learn to walk while we were away? At some point, I began wondering just how difficult it would be to take her with us. I envisioned the airport madness, the plane ride, how she would do during the seminar, how she would sleep in the hotel.... it was obvious that it would be extremely difficult and she would be absolutely miserable, so we proceeded with our plan and dropped her off first thing in the morning.
Surprisingly, we all did rather well. Once we were on our way, Mike and I were happy to spend some time as husband and wife again. Lacey was thrilled to be at Nanny's, as she always is, and was given excellent care, as she always is. We missed her, and she seems to have missed us, but we all made it through the experience. It really was so sweet to spend some alone time with Mike and to learn with him at the seminar. I try to be as much a part of the practice as I can, and I want to be able to support and encourage Mike as much as possible, so it's great to be right there with him.
It was, of course, great to come home. We were so excited to see Lacey again, and I was incredibly tempted to wake her up at midnight when we got home (Nanny and Papa were kind enough to bring her back to our house so we wouldn't have to wait until the following morning to see her). Lacey has been so sweet since we returned and hasn't wanted to be more than a foot away from me since we got home. We realize more and more all the time how much we love her and what a joy and blessing she is in our lives. And of course, the brief escape gave Mike and I chance to appreciate each other a little more, which is just as important.
Now, we have Lacey's birthday to look forward to on Friday!!! Oh... I am not ready for her to be 1!
And a BIG congrats to Heather! She just auditioned for a play and got a part! We can't wait to see her in action!!!
2 comments:
What a great get away!
I adore kid-free get aways! They happen so rarely and its a huge boost to our marriage to leave the home stress behind for a while! I'm proud of you for handling it so well!
Post a Comment