Saturday, July 18, 2009

We may be crazy, but....


We're trying to get a dog! I know how ridiculous this may seem to some given that we have Lacey and plan to have another baby in the near future, but we're sort of in love and have Heather to blame! It was Heather, after all, who sent me the link to this adorable little creature last week. His name is Parker. Look at that face! Were he just any dog, I would look adoringly at the photo, wish for a moment that we could have a dog, and then accept the reality that it would be too much and close the website. Parker, however, may just be the dog that I have been looking for since I met Mike. You see, Mike grew up with a dog that looked quite a lot like Parker. Shorty was Mike's best friend for 17 years! There are countless pictures throughout our house; pictures that are lovingly viewed by Mike quite frequently. Shorty was more than a pet. He was Mike's little brother in many ways. Those two are worth writing a children's book about! Ever since learning about Shorty, I vowed that if I could find a dog like him, I would get him. Well, dangit, Heather found him! He's waiting to be adopted and he may just find his way into our home. Of course, many factors have to be considered. Most importantly, he and Lacey have to do well together. He is listed as an adult, so he should be beyond all of the pesky puppy business. Hopefully he's the perfectly mild-tempered, great with kids, and happy little guy that we need in our home. We also have to go through the adoption process, which is fairly detailed with this little agency. I've submitted the application. The next step is that they will check references and if we are a consideration, they will do a home study to ensure that he will be well cared for with us. Unforunately, the poor little guy is being treated for heart worms right now so that's another little glitch in the process. I'm not sure how long it will take him to recover. So like I said, lots of variables at the moment but we are hopeful that all of the stars will align. I realize that having a dog will mean more work for me, but to do this for Mike is so worth it. If it doesn't happen, we won't be overly crushed, but I am quite hopeful that this will be the perfect little gift for Mike's upcoming birthday. Cross your fingers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only have one word for you..
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck with that, I hope it works out, I guess! I know Mike would be happy, I just hope he does not think that a dog of any kind will be sleeping in your bed!!

Heather said...

And I say...YER WELCOME! I think that the little dog is precious and everyone has to have their first dog at some point. That's funny! Most people get a first dog and keep it for many years. I say it as if there will be a collection and this is just the first of many. HA! That's how it has worked for most of us. Good luck with the little guy!

Kayla said...

Cute dog, but good luck... I'm glad it's not me! :)