Saturday, September 20, 2008

Goin' the lodge...

For those of you who don't know, my dear husband will be celebrating his birthday next week, on September 25! (As will my adorable niece Olivia!) As part of our celebration, Mike and I ventured to the Great Wolf Lodge for a night...without Lacey! She spent the night with Nanny and Papa Hughlett, who have been begging for that sleepover since she was born. If you are not familiar with the Great Wolf Lodge, it is a new hotel in Grapevine that has its very own indoor waterpark. As my husband is a great fan of waterparks, we thought it would be a fun way to celebrate.
The morning of our little adventure, I was hit with a very painful galbladder attack. AARRRGGG!!! Seriously, I don't think I've experienced anything so painful... and I had a difficult labor! As this is the fourth or fifth time this has happened, I do realize that it's time to do something about that... but that's another story. I took some drugs and we decided to proceed with our plans. I was in a bit of pain and a little groggy for the rest of the day, but I decided to not let it ruin our plans. So...we dropped Lacey off that afternoon and after a long goodbye, we went on our way. Immediately upon arriving at our destination, we jumped into our swimsuits and headed for the water. We had a good time, but the place is definitely meant for children. (I knew that, of course, but I thought that it might be somewhat more exciting for adults. Not so much, really.) The place, I will say, is definitely cool. Apart from the indoor water park, there's an arcade, some MagiQuest game that kids can play, restaurants, a salon, etc. Kids would have a blast!
We ate dinner at one of the restaurants in the hotel. When the host greeted us, he asked if we wanted to be seated near the children or away from them. As we scanned the room, we realized that there was no such section as "away from them"... we were at the only table without children. We enjoyed our dinner, but all around us were little babies that reminded us of Lacey and made us miss her all the more.
Breakfast found us at the same restaurant, enjoying a nice buffet that included omelettes, waffles, pancakes, fruit, any kind of meat you'd want, and so much more. By the time we finished, we were ready to be back with Lacey so we checked out and made our way home. We were happy to hear that Lacey did really well on her first sleepover. We are so blessed to have such a happy baby! She seemed rather excited to see us when we arrived, which was pretty sweet to see. We, of course, were very happy to see her!
So all in all, it was an enjoyable time. Unfortunately, with the effects of the galbladder attack and the fact that the place is meant more for children, it wasn't quite what we were expecting... but, it was nice to spend the time together and to be able to sleep in! It's always nice to get away from the usual day-to-day things and enjoy some new scenery. Thanks to Nanny and Papa for taking such good care of Lacey! Birthday celebrations will undoubtedly continue and we'll be sure to post some pictures later. (Sorry Mom... we didn't get pictures at the hotel.... OOPS!)

3 comments:

Lisa M said...

Happy Early Birthday to Mike.
Lisa

Cottle said...

Hope you get feeling better with the gallbladder thingy. That's so funny about the water park, Jon and I did the same thing in NY we realized that non-Mormons over 21 do NOT go to water parks for a GREAT time, Weird HUH, So when we looked around and realized that we were surrounded by 12 year olds we had to just Laugh :) I love being different!!! Take care your little Lacey is a DOLL!

Kayla said...

Sounds like fun! Happy Birthday Mike!! And I'm sorry to hear about your gallbladder problems.