So I wrote a bit about this on my other blog, but I feel the need to vent a bit more and everyone else in the world is asleep while I'm stewing so... I blog.
Gallbladder.
As any of my readers are likely aware, I have had gallstones since just after Lacey was born. Remember that awful attack I had back in March of '08 in the hotel that I ultimately referred to as food poisoning? Not food poisoning. That was my first gallbladder attack.
After subsequent attacks, I came to realize what the more likely cause was. In June of last year, I saw a doctor, had ultrasound done, and was diagnosed with gallstones. Lots and lots of gallstones. The immediate thought was to remove it. That's all I'd ever heard of anyone doing. But then there's my husband. My sweet, principled, passionate chiropractor of a husband who knew of natural remedies for ridding one's self of gallstones. I agreed to try said remedies because I feel much the same way that he does of natural healing and wellness. I still do. I know several people for whom such remedies have worked. I fully believe in trying the least invasive procedures before resorting to surgery and I never trust medical doctor first. I'm all about second opinions. So anyway, I tried one possible remedy and it wasn't effective. Attack after attack, I hoped that something would work... and I avoided. At times, Mike and I didn't agree with the best way to handle it and that caused a bit of tension between us so I probably let it go a little too long. Finally, I decided to try the olive oil cleanse, the most extreme non-surgical option, and one that I really didn't want to do. Determined, I drank lots of apple juice and on Sunday night, I drank 1/2 cup of olive oil. Today, I went in for another ultrasound to see if it worked.
Stones. Lots of stones.
So... ok. Surgery. And I don't regret not getting the surgery first because no matter what, I still think it's best to try other options, I still think it's adviseable to question doctors, and I still believe that these remedies do work... for some people. Unfortunately, not so much for me. Here's the kicker-- our insurance SUCKS!!! There's no other word for it. This surgery is very likely going to cost us somewhere around $7000. Seriously? SERIOUSLY?!?!?! For a freaking gallbladder that I don't even get to keep! (Not that I would want to, I assure you!) I realize that there are a great many benefits to owning a business, but insurance sort of negates some of those benefits. It's beyond offensive to me. We were going to try to get pregnant here very soon, but because of this, we're going to have to put it off and that is just plain sad to me. I mean, it's fine and it's not going to be pushed back by much and it's probably for the best anyway, but for it to come down to insurance is just sad. As soon as we've paid for this, we're going to be paying at least $8000 to have a baby. Good gracious! In the mean time, Nora has decided that we'll refer to this as my gallbladder baby as it will have to suffice for a bit. Maybe we should get a puppy? Hehe. Ug. I just hate the insurance garbage. I'm jealous of people who don't have to pay anything to have a baby or who have $250 deductibles to meet. But this is our little burden and we will deal with it. I have complete faith that this is all for the best and that in a year from now, we'll be thinking of how immensely grateful we are that things turned out the way they did. I just wish that faith wasn't so expensive sometimes!
Ok, venting session over. It will be fabulous to never have another gallbladder attack. Mike said that as soon as I've recovered, we could order a big ol' pizza and lots of ice cream with no concern for an attack (never mind the weight I'd gain!). May just take him up on it!
Good night all! Enjoy your healthy gallbladders and your great insurance coverage!
No comments:
Post a Comment